Mother’s Day is May 10!
Don’t miss a chance to tell your mom, mother-in-law, grandmothers and Nanas how much you love and appreciate them. Seriously, mothers make the world such a beautiful place. We wouldn’t be here without them and I certainly know I wouldn’t be the person I am today without my amazing mom. Moms deserve to be extra pampered and loved on this Mother’s Day.
That’s why my dear friend, Allison Medina and I are working together to inspire you to try our DIY Mother’s Day gift idea. We made these wooden signs with floral details.
Allison has her own sign company called, Rainy Day Dreamer Sign Co. She makes some gorgeous handmade and hand-painted signs for your home.
Let’s learn from the pro!
To make these signs, you’ll need:
- Faux Peony – $3 – Walmart – linked here!
- Faux Garden Roses – Walmart – so many options linked here!
- Wood board – $15 – Walmart – linked here!
- We used a Cricut to make our stencils – linked here! Other options would be you could use stickers or make your own stencils. You could do your own calligraphy with paint or paint markers.
- Hot glue gun – Walmart – linked here.
- Mod Podge – Walmart – linked here.
- White paint – Rust-Cleum Ultra Cover – linked here.
- Black chalk paint – linked here.
Mother (n) a person who loves unconditionally; the maker and keeper of precious memories; a person much loved and greatly admired.
Some other quote ideas:
- “She opens her mouth in wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tounge.” Proverbs 31:26
- “She is clothed in strength and dignity she laughs without fear of the future.” Proverbs 31:25
- Any of your mom’s favorite Bible verses or quotes she likes.
- “A Mother is like a flower each one beautiful and unique.”
- “I love my mother as trees love water and sunshine. She helps me grow, prosper, and reach great heights.”
- “No matter your age, you will always need your mom.”
- “As is the mother, so is her daughter.”
- “I’m a strong woman because a strong woman raised me.”
- “A mother and daughter’s love is never separated.”
We used a Cricut to make our stencil for the wording on our signs.
We used blue painter’s tape to tape down our stencil to the wood board.
TIP: Make sure you firmly press the stencil into the board (especially when using boards like these) to avoid paint bleeding.
Paint over the stencil with Mod Podge. This will seal all the letters so they come out looking nice and crisp.
TIP: When painting on the Mod Podge, move the brush strokes in different directions. (horizontal, vertical and diagonally) This really makes sure all of the letters are completely sealed. Also, be sure to move quickly because it dries very fast.
Once the Mod Podge has dried completely, it’s time to paint!
When using black chalk paint, you need to dilute it. We mixed a little bit of the paint with two teaspoons of water. Make sure it’s mixed up real good before you start.
When using white paint, you do not need to dilute it.
When painting, you’ll want to do two thin coats. Wait for the first coat to dry before moving onto the second coat.
Once paint is dry, peel back the stencil slow and carefully.
TIP: If there’s a little bit of paint that bled through, no worries! Allison suggests safely using a box cutter to scrape off the excess paint. When it’s dry, it comes off really easy!
Time to arrange the flowers!
It’s all personal preference but we started by taking off the greenery on the flower stems and laying those down first to give us a green foundation to build off of.
Then, we layered the flowers on top and added some smaller flowers around the sides for more detail and depth.
You can use whatever flowers you think your mom would like! Walmart had a great selection!
We used a hot glue gun to paste the flowers down on the wooden board. Be super careful using the hot glue gun, it can burn you.
And that’s it! I hope you enjoy making these Mother’s Day signs!
If you would like to purchase one of Allison’s signs or get more tips from her check out her Facebook page here and Instagram here. She’s so incredibly gifted and I feel so blessed to learn from her!
Sending lots of hugs and love to all the sweet mama’s out there!